Friday, December 27, 2013

Riverside Brewing Co Sixty Nine Summer Ale - Australia - 15/12/2013

The low down:
The juvenile inside me is having a really hard time with this one. I expect it’s because he's young and reckless and needs to unwind. I can only assume the naming of the beer is the fault of Bryan Adams, otherwise the Parramatta based Riverside brewing co. has managed to get quite an illicit brand onto shelves.

The beer itself is delicious. I have a soft spot for really summery beers, specifically because Australia is really the beneficiary of one incredibly long summer, you might say an endless summer. Tropical fruits and citrus make this beer a perfect warm Sunday afternoon delight.

I know I’m not going to get through this whole review without at least snickering at the name, so let’s get it out of the way now.

Heh.

Packaging: 7/10
A little provocative, but the subject on the front is tastefully clad in her 1960's bathing suit
Refreshment: 9/10
Not too bitter, and light with a tropical aftertaste.
Flavour 8/10:
Quite subtle. Not packed with flavour, but that’s a good thing..
Alcohol Content: 5/10
4.6%. People are going to think I’m a drunkard (What? The beer blog guy likes to drink? Absurd), but I think it could have gone up to 5.
Price: 8/10
$5. A fiver for a craft beer is good going. Especially a delicious one.
Total: 37/50


69 is a neat drop. Thanks to proximity and quality it’s becoming more available in the trendy inner west bars as well. Let’s hope it doesn't lose the thing that makes it great; that swinging 60s party-time attitude.
I’m not sure what they ate in the 60's, but it probably wasn't Vietnamese or Korean food, and that’s a shame because this would be the ultimate partner.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment