Friday, December 27, 2013

Ekim Berserker - Australia - 16/12/2013

The low down.
I'm not sure why I’m reviewing this. Apparently this is a bottle from the last crate that shipped and you, dear reader, are unlikely to ever get to drink it. Oh, no, I've remembered why I’m reviewing. Because it’s fricken amazing.

I met the brewer from Ekim once, at a brew festival. He still hand-labels and hand-bottles his beers. This is true love of beer. The custom art on the bottle is a portent of things to come, the beer is bordering on berserk. It brings to mind the Love Among Freaks track of the same name.
I dare not quote all of the lyrics but the opening line is probably enough to give you an idea of how I feel about this beer. "My love for you is like a truck, Berserker" you may have heard it uttered in Clerks, if not, you now have 2 tasks.

The flavours are charred malt and fruits, delicious bitter overtones and caramel swirl of tasty. This is a powerful brew, from one of the leaders in what I wouldn't call craft beers, but art beers.

Packaging: 10/10
Viking warrior art.
Refreshment: 8/10
Tasty and refreshing, a little bitter, but in the good way
Flavour 9/10:
Lots of flavour, all mixed together and it works.
Alcohol Content: 10/10
7.2%. Berserker.
Price: 10/10
$8.10 did I mention hand-bottled and labeled?

Total: 47/50





I've been drinking mine with a hearty feed of herb encrusted pork, butterflied and baked in its own juices. I'll be adding some sort of dessert to the tail end, but that’s not up to me.

This is truly a one of a kind beer, and if you can find one, drink it, no matter what the accompanying meal may be.
Cheers.




No comments:

Post a Comment