Friday, March 25, 2011

La catapult - Switzerland 25-3-11

The Low Down:
A colleague of mine recently returned from Switzerland with this microbrewed gem from Geneva. A bottle fermented dark ale, and by dark, I mean almost black. The bottle fermentation leads to a bit of sediment and a yeasty flavour. Thus this is the first beer that I moved to the glass after a few tastes.

The bottle it came in is amazing. Black with a relief image, entirely in french, an amazing example for a very very small brewery who can market their product better than multinational competition.

There's a light fruitiness to the ale, but the flavour is primarily malt with very little carbonation. It's also brewed in a barn, less than 400 meters sq.




Packaging: 10/10
The best designed bottle in my collection so far.
Refreshment: 7/10
Not much carbonation, but as a dark ale it does have the comfort factor.
Flavour 6/10:
If not for the yeast flavour this would be an amazing dark ale. As it is, I don't think I would take away that yeast kick, and also have the beer suffer in other areas for it.
Alcohol Content: 6/10
6.0%. Not strong for a dark ale, but enough that it isn't a light beer.
Price: 10/10
A colleague of mine was given this bottle, which means free is all I know about it.
Total: 39/50

Conclusion:
It's a lighter version of a Belgian dark ale, craft brewed in Switzerland, by 2 guys in what is essentially a shed. By that alone I feel kind of lucky to have tried it. Fact is it's actually pretty good too. I drank it with a bacon cheese and veal tortellini. I'd recommend it.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment