Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tusker Lager - Kenya 13-4-11

The Low Down:
The real reason i was looking forward to this beer was Vanuatu. In Vanuatu they brew a beer called Tusker, and it is one of my all time holiday favourites. This Tusker is an entirely different beast.

Named after an elephant that Killed the original brewer, this beer is somewhat of an African legend.

The bottle conjures up thoughts of safari and the flavours do too. The corn adds an interesting sweetness to it, almost like a banana pancake, and it goes down quite easily, which would be perfect for the African climate.

Lightly carbonated, with pretty much no bitterness, means this beer can easily be session imbibed.

Packaging: 8/10
African bottle that makes me think of Africa. Well played sir.
Refreshment: 8/10
Light carbonation, and subtle flavours mean it can quench thirst well.
Flavour 8/10:
The corn sweetness is something you expect from an American microbrew, but it is right at home in this African lager.
Alcohol Content: 5/10
4.2% A little on the soft side. but in the African sun the last thing you want is alcohol poisoning.
Price: 6/10
$7.50. OK it's reasonably expensive for a 4.2% pint of lager That's bar prices, not bottleshop. I'm going to cut some slack for the Sheer distance to Kenya.
Total: 35/50
Conclusion:
It seems I like Tusker wherever it comes from. while it won't replace my Vanuatu Tusker as the beer I most want in my fridge in Summer, I will drink it again. mainly because I'm a huge fan of banana pancakes. Drink this with.... banana pancakes.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment