Tuesday, April 12, 2011

BeerLao - Laos 10-4-11

The Low Down:
I have had the pleasure of drinking this beer abroad and this is the beer that started my love affair with rice beer. If you have never had rice beer, start with this one. It somehow manages to bring the tastes of Asia into a bottle.

The rice allows for flavours otherwise rarely seen in a beer to shine through, A little spicy with some hints of coconut milk, and lush vegetation.

The bottle is generic Asian with one additional touch, the gold foil. Nice.

Don't let this beer warm up, as the sweetness will quickly vanish and you will be left with the bitterness that only German hops can provide.
Packaging: 8/10
the Gold foil makes it look classy, while still being an exceptionally cheap beer.
Refreshment: 8/10
When cold, this beer is dynamite, just the right amount of carbonation.
Flavour 9/10:
Rice beer, I think I love you. The rice binds to the other flavours giving the beer many layers.
Alcohol Content: 6/10
5.0%. Very respectable for an Asian lager.
Price: 8/10
$3.30. not high, not low, in Asia, this costs less than a dollar.
Total: 39/50



Conclusion:
I bought this as a six pack, lucky for me, I will have some over the long weekend to try with a wide variety of cuisines. I'm thinking something wrapped in a banana leaf. Oh and if you ever find this on tap, it is a must.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment