Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Al Ahram - Meister Max - 17-06-19 - Egypt

 

 

 The low down:

This one has been sitting in a folder on my computer for 5 years. Then I remembered I post to this blog. The pandemic put a damper on travel, shipping and things to do, but this beer was so forgettable that even being trapped inside for the best part of a year, I didn't get around to it, and then I just forgot. I'm only here now as I'm cleaning up some folders and came across it. My notes say "Strong lager with some cereal aromas, surprising bitterness for macro, surprisingly fresh. Good for North Africa." Now, Egypt has been in the beer game for a very long time... and despite that, they haven't mastered it. You would think, with predynastic brewing evidence that's 6-7 thousand years old, they would have a foot up on the rest of the world. Sadly, that just isn't the case.

 


Packaging: 4/10
The brand relies heavily on the MAX to sell, I think.
Refreshment: 6/10
an 8% macro lager, I imagine you might move to the lighter version in the heat.
Flavour 6/10
Fresh and bitter despite the 8%.
Alcohol Content: 9/10
8% lagers need to be more prevalent. Balances out that big fresh flavour with some body, there's nothing worse than water with my hops!
Price: 3/10
Around 14 dollars, at a restaurant. This economy is a shambles.
Total: 28/50



Conclusion:
It's getting harder to justify some of these ticks, Especially with the access to incredible craft that I have been privy too across the past 10 or so years, and yet I will persist. Much like Egypt, I suspect. This beer is better than average for the region and great with a nice North African or middle eastern meal. I drank it on my birthday with a metric boat load of hummus and flat breads, and it was well-matched. Something creamy to cut the booze and something carb filled to cut the hangover.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment