Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Vanuatu Tusker OP Lager - Vanuatu - 25-12-14


The low down: 
Tusker is the beer I compare all pacific lagers to, so I guess I will compare Tusker OP to it as well. Imagine someone took a sacred beverage, and upped the dextrose so the yeast burned hotter and pumped out an extra 2.3% alcohol, then basically made it half as good. This is certainly a case of more is less.

Vanuatu is a bona fide tropical paradise. The coral reefs are amazing, sunset is like being on another world and Tusker beer is everywhere like mana from heaven. You may even notice me wearing the Tusker shirt in the last image, I devoured it incessantly both times I visited.

OP is a shoddy imitator to the throne, but it's still better than most of the pacific lagers that end up in my fridge.




Packaging: 6/10
No awards here, though I have been to the bottling plant. (It's like most other bottling plants)
Refreshment: 6/10
The original would have been a 9, this is a not so close second.
Flavour 5/10
Feels like the boozahol ruins the grain bill.
Alcohol Content: 9/10
7% which I admit, is ridiculous for an adjunct.
Price: 8/10
400 Vatu in stores, or around $4 (Thanks Bill)
Total: 34/50


Yes the higher alcohol might be useful for a night getting crunk, but I'd rather just drink 2 regular Tuskers and deal with the toilet breaks.
For food, I remember sitting on a north facing beach eating fresh fruit (I mean tree cut fresh pineapple and mango) with a Tusker in the other hand, and it was glorious.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment