Monday, April 14, 2014

Serengeti Premium Lager - Tanzania - 14/4/2014



The low down: 
Africa has 56 possible countries for the drinking of beer. Unfortunately they are incredibly hard to come by here in Australia. Beer number 4 out of the dark continent is the maltiest lager that ever did malt.

The bottle claims 100% malt, and while I know that's a physical impossibility where I end up drinking a molasses style sludge of barley, or worse yet, chewing on germinated grains, I understand where they are coming from.

This is a good beer for the heat, you can tell that at a safari BBQ this will suit the spicy coastal Tanzanian cuisine.




Packaging: 8/10
This is some good use of the local themes. It feels like the Serengeti.
Refreshment: 9/10
Quick down the gullet despite the malt.
Flavour 8/10
Malty but in the good way, like Milo, except not like Milo because that would be weird.
Alcohol Content: 5/10
4.8% Lagers designed for tropical Africa are never going to knock your socks off,
Price: 6/10
$6.00, which is high for a macro lager, but considering it came from Africa via England...
Total: 36/50


With any luck I'll be visiting Tanzania for a hike up Mount Kilimanjaro next August. It will be interesting to try this in its natural habitat. I have 3 more and I think I'm going to save them for this Friday when I will be barbecuing with friends.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment