Saturday, March 22, 2014

Westvleteren 12 - Belgium - 28/1/2014


The low down: 
OK, I wasn't going to review this but what sort of beer blog would it be if I didn't take on the alleged world's best, the proverbial heavyweight champion of the world of beer.

Firstly, It's not as rare as you think. I saw it in 3 countries, but Belgium was by far the cheapest price on it. I've even seen it in Australia, at $50 plus per bottle.

Is it the best in the world? Probably not, but it is an experience to drink, and it is a remarkable beer. Rich and strong, full of flavour and boozy as hell. Everything you want from a beer, West V 12 has in spades.




Packaging: 10/10
There is something elegant about the bottle, I was lucky enough that the bar in which I sampled allowed me to open and pour my own.
Refreshment: 9/10
Here is the scary thing; given the alcohol content you would think it was un-session-able. If I was a millionaire, this would be my BBQ beer.
Flavour 10/10
It's hard to compete with the Belgian Trappists for flavour as all 6 are incredible.
Alcohol Content: 10/10
10.2% and you can't even taste it.
Price: 8/10
$22.50. Given that you can only buy a carton of the 12 per weekend, this beer is the proverbial hens teeth. Yes, it is expensive, but there are 900 years of Cistercian skill and history in every bottle.
Total: 47/50


I drank this at 10 AM then backed it up with 5 full pints of Belgium's best at the behest of my significant other. There would have been no better way to start this hilarious morning, and I finished with a bucket of 100 mussels. In Brussels.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment