Saturday, March 12, 2011

Taj Mahal Premium Lager - India 12-3-11

The Low Down:
When I fired up a spicy curry  tonight, I thought and hoped that this beer might complement it well. I wasn't mistaken, but I wasn't quite correct either.

It is incredibly full bodied for a lager, with rich roasted malt flavours and a trailing taste of hops that's not unpleasant, but not what I expected from the bottle.

Speaking of the bottle, the design is standard, but the drawing of the actual Taj Mahal saves it slightly. Beccy raised a good issue and asked why every beer brand needs a gold drop shadow.

This is a earthy and strong tasting beer, but without the alcohol content to back it up.


Packaging: 4/10
A little cramped with 85 different fonts on the bottle.
Refreshment: 6/10
A little too meaty for a lager, but still whets the whistle.
Flavour 7/10:
This is full of flavour, the maltiness is evident and pronounced there is a slight alcohol flavour, but it's subtle.
Alcohol Content: 4/10
4.5%. Tastes like this should be stronger, but at the same time, I'm glad it isn't.
Price: 8/10
$4.30. Once again, very respectable for a rare import from a country where Kingfisher dominates the market.
Total: 29/50



Conclusion: 
Heavy duty lager, with a very specific market. It did suit my curry well, though normally I would have matched it with a light and bubbly Asian style beer. Drink it with butter chicken or some Rogan Josh and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment